Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon May 3 15:58:51 UTC 2004

Piggybacking (Sorry):

Edward Croft said:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:00, Steve Searle wrote:
>> Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown
>> scrawled:
>>
>> > and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the
>> oldest computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the
>> mentality of the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone
>> over 30 =] ... it's hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses
>> linux personally, once you're over 30 you have to start thinking
>> more like a manager =]... then again, i'm almost over that line, but
>> i don't feel like i'm that close =]

I'm 36 myself, and I've been using Linux for about three years now.  I
didn't start using computers at all, really, until about ten years ago,
when I discovered the Internet while working in a temp clerical job (now
I'm a Solaris/Oracle wrangler -- how the mighty have fallen).  I've met
Linux users of all ages, but the oldest competent Linux user I've met to
date was a fellow named Dick, whom I met at a Robert Burns memorial supper
in Campbell, CA.  He was about 65 years old, and was a cement contractor.
Linux was something he picked up a few years ago.  His preferred distro
was Mandrake, and we talked for a couple of hours about Linux, open
source, etc.  He was a hobbyist, certainly not a professional, but he
seemed to know more than many of the young guns I've met who are convinced
that they're God's gift to computing.  ;-)

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)