Strange Idle User Listed in who, finger

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon May 3 18:19:11 UTC 2004

On Monday May 3 2004 2:10 pm, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:

> Have you looked in /proc/18655 ?
>
> Also is the box current?  There was a bug fix with utempter
> (wtmp/utmp) not too long ago.  Have you picked up the fix for this
> (utempter-0.5.5-3) and have you rebooted since that bug fix was
> installed?
>
> If you run strace on who and w you can see what they look at to get
[...]

> 	T o m  M i t c h e l l

I threw in the towel and re-booted, so I won't get to experiment more with it.
I'm using the yum.conf from artoo's site, so I'm fairly sure everything is up
to date. It could be, however, that I had not rebooted since bug fix --
anymore I tend to reboot only when I upgrade the kernel (or when I get some
zombie user, heh!).

The experience was instructive, at any rate: I learned a lot more about ps, w,
who, finger than I previously knew!

Clint
--
Clint Harshaw  <clint at penguinsolutions.org>