Shuttle SN41G2 and FC1

John Aegard johnzo at sff.net
Tue May 4 18:18:58 UTC 2004

Last night, I installed FC1 on my new Shuttle SN41G2, which has
512MB of RAM and an integrated nvidia graphics controller that
shares a configurable amount of that ram -- in my case, 32MB.

I kept getting this error after hitting [enter] at the
installer's boot prompt

kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS (9,2)

The fix for this problem is to start the installer by entering
linux mem=480 at the boot: prompt.  I suspect the installer
doesn't realize that some of the system ram is used by the video,
and is trying to assign the ramdisk to that ram.

In the next couple days, I'll get the latest FC test iso's and
see if this is still an issue and do some bug reporting if it is.
I just wanted to post this for posterity's sake.

zo.
---
www.johnzo.com | where the carnival goes to die