Fedora desktop experience: Great, but not quite all I need

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Wed May 5 01:58:43 UTC 2004

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>1) Email.  I had some problems getting Evolution 1.4 to talk nicely with
>my RH 9 email server via imaps and smtp-auth over tls.  I'm still working
>through that, but I got email working by allowing relay from the desktop
>box.  My wife is getting used to the interface, but it's no big deal for
>her, so that's a plus.

What is the configuration of the server? If it is using postfix I may be
able to help you... What errors do you get?

> - Olympus C-750 UltraZoom.  I couldn't get gtkam to initialize the
>camera, no matter what camera I selected.  The autoselect kept finding it
>as a C-2040Z, which would have been fine if it could have initialized the
>camera.  I suppose I'd have to use one of those card readers, but I don't
>know if any of them read Olympus xD cards.  This one's a deal-killer for
>my wife.  I'll have to dual boot if I can't get this one working.

I looked at the gphoto2 website , and they list this camera as
supported..  (http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php)  Maybe
you could try it instead of gtkam...

>5) Video.  I couldn't even get my video off of my Canon Optura 20
>camcorder and onto the computer with dvgrab.  I've left a message on
>the dvgrab message board and haven't heard back these last few days.
>I found a couple of messages in archives that hint that ieee1394 isn't
>working properly yet in linux, so that may be why I had the problems.
>I could control the camera, but just not capture the video over the
>firewire port.  Go figure.  I may try again when I get the new motherboard
>installed.  I don't think it's the board, though, since this works
>flawlessly in Win2K.

I cant speak for myself , as I dont have any Firewire devices , but I've
heard that firewire support is problematic only in the 2.6 kernel (in
FC2T3 , it was disabled , because trying to use it could hang the
computer very badly) , but looks like 2.6.6 has a fix already...

>Bottom line:  Fedora is almost there for my personal needs.  Great look,
>good experience, but not all of the apps I need are working yet.  For now,
>I may have to look at purchasing XP to take advantage of the SATA ports
>on the new motherboard.

Well, that's one reason why I still dual-boot (it was tri-boot with FC1
, FC2T3 and windows xp , now it's only FC2T3 and XP).. I'm really a game
addict , so I need XP.. But besides that , I can live happily with
fedora as my main OS...

--
Pedro Macedo