Win4Lin (ask if the next yum kernel update would need to be seperately patched????)

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed May 5 02:23:58 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 2, Bill Diamond did say:

> If you're running Fedora 1 with the 2.4 kernel, you have a pretty good
> shot at installing Win4Lin which will automatically build a new kernel
> with the kernel features needed to run Win4Lin.  If you're running a 2.6
> kernel, you'll need to go through the process of downloading the kernel
> patch, applying it to the kernel source code, building the kernel and
> installing it.  Most of this process is pretty well automated, so it's
> not as bad as it sounds.

Pardon me for jumping in Bill, but would you happen to know if one of
these options would result in a kernel that yum would be able to keep up
to date for me like it does now???? or would the next yum kernel update
be missing  "features" required for win4lin????

I'm not quite sure I want win4lin. But occasionally I consider the idea
that if I find that I can insulate it from any possible internet access
I may decide I want it. But the only way I would even think of doing this
to fedora is if yum would be able to continue updating my kernel without
having to repeat the process you just described for the OP...

I wouldn't object to having to do it again after updating from FC1 to FC2
or from FC2 to FC3, but I'd need to know that yum would be able to auto
install updated kernels within each core level the same way it does now.