KDE dies

Edwin Humphries edwin at ironstone.com.au
Wed May 5 06:16:48 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 12:57, jludwig wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 18:36, Edwin Humphries wrote:
>
> You will need to give much more information than that.
> (Sort of like calling the doctor and only saying 'I'm sick'.)
> Why don't you do this;
> 1) from the Grub boot screen edit the kernel line by
>   A) adding a 3 to the kernel line to boot into "terminal mode".
> 2) As root run the command startkde and note what fails.
> 3) Post that information.

Problem is, KDE starts OK, runs OK for an indeterminate time, then just
freezes, and requires (up till now) a hard reset to "fix" it. (I believe
Ctrl-Alt-F1 opens another tty session, and I'm not sure, but I suspect this
is one of the combinations I tried.)

What's really weird is that it seemed to affect the USB system somehow, as the
USB mouse didn't work afterwards in XP (to state the obvious, this is a dual
boot system).
--
Best Regards,
Edwin Humphries, Managing Director