Users, groups and directory access

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Wed May 5 08:30:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 23:52, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple access I would like to solve. Reading the RedHat
> documentation on users and groups didn't help sufficiently. Maybe one of
> you guys, sysadmins, could help?
>
> I'm running a up to date Fedora core 1 (no test packages).
>
> The problem is:
>
> 1. I have a user let's say john with two gid's: one for john and one for
>   proj. The group john is his primary group.
>
> 2. I also have a directory owned by user paul and he want everyone in
> group proj to be able to read and write and create directories and files
> in his directory /project. So (using the reference guide from red hat)
> he creates a directory /project and has the admin do the following
> sequence of commands:
>
> /usr/sbin/groupadd proj
> chown -R paul.proj /project
> /usr/bin/gpasswd -a john proj
> chmod 2775 /project

# create proj group
groupadd proj

# make an administrator own the root dir. paul.proj is also fine...
chown -R root.proj /project

# make permissions inherit to children...
chmod g+rwxs /project

# root can change john's group membership like this
usermod -G proj john

# which should be equivalent to this but I've had trouble with it
gpasswd -a john proj

# in theory, this would make Paul proj's administrator
gpasswd -A paul proj

# to verify john was added where he belongs:
grep john /etc/groups

> Now I have 2 questions:
> 1. Is there any way, to have all groups a user is member of, effective
> simultaneously?

Yes, logout and login.  Group membership only becomes effective at
login.

> 2.
> How can john change his primary group on the commandline?

newgrp proj

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/