OS Performance (was OT: New low for Microsoft!)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed May 5 13:25:49 UTC 2004

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>> It's at times like these, that I am greatly relieved I'm not a Windows
>> user:
>>
>> http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/news/article00005.html
>

> This brings up a question I have about Fedora.  I recently installed
> FC1 on an 800 MHz Celeron with 128MB RAM.  I'm a Linux newbie.  The
> system is dual-booted with Windows ME.  Yes, I know that I'm running
> below recommended specs.
>
> Before going on, I am a convert to the Open Source ideology.  I would
> like to see Linux (and open source software) succeed and dominate the
> market.  After passing newbie status, I look forward to rolling up my
> sleeves and pitching in on coding.
>
> The first thing I notice in Linux (running GNOME) is that it *seems*
> more sluggish than Windows.  Menus take longer to pop up.  Standard
> dialogs take longer to pop up.  All sorts of things.  When I click to
> start Mozilla, I have to check to see if my HD light is on --
> otherwise I don't know if the OS registered my click!  (In all
> fairness, Explorer isn't much better in this regard.)
>
> A good example is switching windows.  Everything is loaded in RAM --
> no caching to the HD.  When I change the focus to another open window,
> it's like I get a flicker-flicker-there.  It takes around 500ms to
> make the change.  In Windows, this is not so.
>
> So here's the question:  Is this normal for Fedora and/or Linux?  Do I
> maybe have a bad video setting?

Yes, it is normal on ALL OSes on systems that are underpowered.  Yours
has inadequate ram and is likely using a lot of swap so performance
takes a major hit.  Spring the $40 or so and get an additional 256mb ram
and see the huge difference.

Don't blame software for something you already said you know.

> Otherwise, is it possible that Linux developers are prone to pushing
> the hardware, too?  Honestly, I don't see why my 486/DX2 w/8MB is
> obsolete.  What are we doing now that requires so much more
> horsepower?  Are word processors now solving partial differential
> equations before they print?

It is not.  You can still run redhat 5.X, 6.X and even 7.X versions on it.