Redhat support's pretty good! WAS: Re: Redhat Support Sucks!!!!

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Wed May 5 13:41:45 UTC 2004

We had to let our RHEL AS 2.1 support lapse yesterday afternoon.  I hadn't
realized when I recommended it to my boss that we'd have to pay ~$1300/year,
so when renewal came up we didn't have the cash.  My fault, not RH's, as I
didn't do my homework when purchasing RHEL AS.

Anyway, with the subscription expiring yesterday, I wanted to get the latest
patches and such so that we were safe at least through yesterday.  The
problem was that I'd moved the server and a few other things, and rhn wasn't
working.  I ended up calling Redhat support.  It was the first time I'd ever
called them, and my support was expiring that day, but still I got great
support.  Joy (the support tech's name) worked with me over the phone and
over the web and got me fixed up quickly.  She was patient as heck, as well.
:)

She didn't try to sell me another year's subscription or anything.  Just
helped me get fixed and to download the last patches.  I was pleasantly
surprised.  We'll be purchasing a few RHEL ES Basic subscriptions at
$350/year, and hopefully will be able to negotiate a bulk subscription rate.

Anyway, just wanted to say that the OP's experience may be unusual, rather
than the norm.

Ben