TurboTax Replacement (was: Quicken Replacement )

Bob Shaffer fedora at bobshafferscomputer.com
Wed May 5 14:36:55 UTC 2004

Mike Jang said:
> Folks,
>
> While this is getting off-topic, it's based on a key issue for the Linux
> desktop.
>
> Speaking of personal finance software, I gather Bruce Perens who was
> quoted recently as saying he still has a Microsoft Windows computer for
> Quicken and TurboTax.
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5202145.html?tag=nefd.pop
>
> I don't think GNUCash really cuts it, but I recognize there are people
> working on the Quicken compatibility / feature issue. However, I don't
> hear any mention of (U.S.) Tax software.
>
> Is there anything on the horizon for a Linux port or some GNU substitute
> for TurboTax? Or do people here who no longer use MS Windows just do
> their taxes with a pencil (or an accountant who probably uses MS
> Windows)?
>
> I think this is the last big unscratched itch before Linux can seriously
> penetrate the consumer desktop market.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I might be taking this even more off-topic, but I remember reading on
winecentric.com that Quicken works well under wine.  They have a howto on
their site for getting it working.  I wouldn't be surprised if turbotax
works too.  There are open source tax programs out there
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/opentaxsolver/ for instance) but I didn't
see anything that interfaced with GNUCash.