OT: New low for Microsoft!

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Wed May 5 14:35:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 05:32, duncan brown wrote:
> Preston Crawford said:
> > If I do, there's something fundamentally wrong with the software I'm
> > running. Either that or the software better be balancing my checkbook,
> > running my budget, setting up appointments for me, answering my voice
> > mail and returning phone calls per my instructions and looking up all
> > data I request via voice recognition. Oh, and it should carry on
> > conversations with me if I'm bored. Meaning, this kind of power means
> > the software better be doing a lot more than just bloating an already
> > bloated OS and adding a few minor software enhancements. Otherwise, I
> > don't see what Longhorn could do to justify these specs.
>
> uh, my friend had a compaq that did all of that... IN 1995.
>
> checkbook - check
> budget - check
> appointments - check (well, managing but not actively doing them, it did
> have reminders)
> voice mail - check
> voice recognition - she actually did have dragon dictate, or something
> similar

I think you missed my point. What I'm saying is that with that kind of
horsepower the machine better have some kind of Artificial Intelligence
and be doing the above functions (which, yes, I can do also on my
machine and have been able to do since the days of my 33mhz Macintosh,
my first computer) without my intervention. Except by voice recognition
in which case I'm not talking about Dragon Dictate but rather me telling
the computer "yo, go balance my checkbook based on what I've bought
recently with these receipts. Scan them, then balance the checkbook.
Make me a pot of coffee too and I'll come back later and we'll chat
about Survivor." That's what I'm talking about. That's what the machine
better be doing with that kind of horsepower.

Preston