Old farts and new Linux

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed May 5 15:11:05 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 08:37, Jeff Ratliff wrote:
>On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 04:28:43PM -0400, Ron Goulard wrote:
>> And here I thought that at 36, I was an 'old fart' when it came to
>> playing with computers. By the sounds of it, I'm still wet behind
>> the ears :)
>>
>> I've been doing this since my first computer, a TRS-80 model III
>> (cassette tapes for storage, 48k of ram (that was the upgrade) and
>> hexeditors were my favorite toys).  I was shown linux for the
>> first time
>
>I had my first real experience on a TRS-80 model III as well (in the
>school library). I used to sit and read "Popular Electronics"
> magazine and dream of saving enough money to get a Sinclair ZX81
> (2K memory and built in BASIC!).
>  First real programming was in 8085 machine language on a single
> board training computer. It had 24 LEDs for output, a hexadecimal
> keypad for input, and you entered opcodes in Octal!
>  I remember that Christmas all I wanted was the book "Programming
> the Z80" from Radio Shack. I think it was $11 and more than I could
> afford. After that, the standard stuff C-64, to DOS to OS/2, then
> eventually RedHat 5.2. I suppose there are worse ways to spend the
> formative years.

Unforch Rodney Zacks left a couple of errors in that tome that you'll
probably discover when you do your first or second assembly or
machine code routine based on looking up the hex values in that book
and entering them with the monitor.  Been there, done that.

Rodney's stuff for other platforms was more accurate.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)