OT: New low for Microsoft!

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Wed May 5 16:21:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 11:46, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
<snip>
> Or imagine you have a mailserver running Fedora + postfix + spamassassin
> + amavisd for a domain that has about 1000 users. In my last work , we
> had a mailserver (Pentium 4 , 2.8Ghz , 1Gb ram) running suse +
> postfix+spamassassin and it works fine. We know that we need a especial
> machine only for running amavisd (we were on a subdomain of the
> university. The main server for the university was a dual xeon server
> and it usually didnt survive the workload caused by amavis). So , 3Ghz
> may be the *minimum* in certain circunstances..
>
> So , it may be overpowered in some circunstances.. like for my mother ,
> who uses her computer only to read e-mail and browse the net (but she
> uses a 486 DX2 80mhz for that)... Anything above 400Mhz would be
> unnecessary for her...

I have to agree.  My desktop is a 333Mhz P2, which runs everything I
need.  My mail server however is a dual xeon box (running smp kernel).
Friday evening I was alerted that the load was well over 900 on each
prcessor.  Yeah we run mailscanner, spamassassin, with exim.  Looking
through the logs we were getting hit by 5 spammers at once (Plus alot of
virus traffic).