Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

John Thompson john at os2.dhs.org
Wed May 5 16:48:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:00:34 +0100
Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com> wrote:

> Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown
> scrawled:
>
> > and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the
> > oldest computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the
> > mentality of the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone
> > over 30 =] ... it's hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses
> > linux personally, once you're over 30 you have to start thinking
> > more like a manager =]... then again, i'm almost over that line, but
> > i don't feel like i'm that close =]
>
> Well I'm 43 and have 5 PCs/Servers in my study running Gnu/Linux.  I
> started as a trainee programmer on a Honeywell maiunframe in '79.
>
> And I know there are plenty older and more skilled than me.

Young'un.

I'll be 49 next month and I have a home network with 2 linux machines
(RH9 and FC1), 2 NetBSD machines (1.6.1), and 2 FreeBSD machines (4.8
and 5.2.1).  Oh, and one Win2k machine.  But I'm no computer
professional.  The only formal computer training I've had was a FORTRAN
class back in 1972.  The rest I've picked up on my own.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)