New low for Microsoft

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Wed May 5 17:11:58 UTC 2004

> what's funny is that bill has been quoted as saying that hardware should
> be free, but software should cost you.  maybe what he's really saying is
> that the $20,000 computer you're going to buy in 2006 with longhorn will
> only cost $400 to build, the rest is to go to microsoft.  not like you'd
> ever be able to find out, since you can't buy a computer without ms on it
                                             ====================================

Not completely true. I go to the local Fry's and buy an 800MHZ Celeron,
40GB HD with CD-R, 128MB, 100Mb NI for $199. No MS but something
called ThinLinux or something like that on it. I add more memory for about
$20 and install RH or FC1 on it. Works likes a champ as a cheap server
or workstation for our office.

The keyboard actually isn't that bad but the speakers are tinny. In an office
audio isn't so important. The price doesn't include a monitor.

You can find systems without MS.

Regarding longhorn specs, my guess is we'll see those numbers lowered
as later versions come out.

Mike