How to block Kazaa; NIS authentication

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed May 5 18:24:07 UTC 2004

Artur Sampaio said:
> Hi everyone...
> I have installed a small network for a client. It was composed by a
> server and 3 clients running FC1, and a client running Win2k.
> I have 3 questions:
>
> 1) The W2k user insist in use kazaa, that was prohibited from
> enterprise's owner.....I wish to block the port of kazaa on the server
> (iptables??). someone knows how?

this all depends on where the traffic flows through.  if it's passing
through your linux box on the way to the internet, then yeah... iptables
will do wha tyou want.

check out firestarter to figure this out.  (install from fedora.us extras
repository via apt or yum)

> 2) I wish to use NIS to manage users from the server. It is possible
> that the W2k authenticate with NIS?

set up a samba domain server.

check out www.samba.org

> 3) How to make the home's user the same on any machine that's he use?
> (NFS? samba?)

nfs and automount.

google for that, you'll find tons of howtos.

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991