Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1

Jeremy Brown jeremy at cadre5.com
Wed May 5 19:41:58 UTC 2004

Gary Rickert wrote:

>OK y'all. I have so interesting info after loading 12 times today. I started
>out with min install and kept adding packages and testing each time. Guess
>what. They all worked. However, the last load I configured "Use Network
>Login" with only Kerberos SMB enabled. Now I cannot login. I am going to
>load again, with Net login and nothing enabled, see what happens. Any
>ideas.???

You should definitely stick with shadow and MD5 mechanisms only unless
you already have a LDAP, Kerberos, or SMB server you'd like to
authenticate against...which means saying "no" to the "User Network
Login" option.  I believe if you tell it to use LDAP, Kerberos, or SMB,
and the LDAP, Kerberos, or SMB server cannot be contacted, then you'll
be completely locked out of your system, even if your account is in
/etc/password or /etc/shadow.

I'm not sure if this is by design or just an unfortunate side effect.
Our systems at work authenticate against LDAP, and it's a real pain not
being able to log in as root on a machine when the LDAP server goes down.

If you mess up your auth configuration by accident and find yourself
locked out of your system (as I'm guessing you have), you can always use
your FC1 disc 1 as a restore disk.  Boot up, chroot into your system,
and run "authconfig".  Turn off all "User Information Configuration"
options, and turn off all "Authentication Configuration" options except
"Use Shadow Passwords" and "Use MD5 Passwords", and you should be able
to log in again.

Jeremy