Software RAID disk partitioning (FC1)

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed May 5 20:02:56 UTC 2004

Dhananjay Makwana wrote:

>All,
>
>I need to create a softwrare RAID (RAID 1) on a system with two hard
>disks (equal size 250G).
>I know i can do that in Fedora anaconda installer "Disk druid" program.
>I created two "software raid" partitions (one on each disk /dev/hda1 and
>/dev/hdc1).
>What I am not sure is how do I create regular partitions now ? Disk
>druid allows me to create "/" and swap partitions but then it changes
>the raid partitions to be on /dev/hdc and creates those partitions on
>/dev/hda space.
>
>I read the Software RAID howto but could not find relevant information.
>Can somebody point me to correct procedure ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>- Jay

Did you de-select the other disk when creating each software raid
partition?  If you left both disks selected, then they can be moved to
other disks as more partitions are created.
Did you click the "Make Raid" button to create a filesystem using your
two raid partitions?
Take a look at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/ch-software-raid.html

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021