Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade

Guolin Cheng guolin at alexa.com
Wed May 5 22:17:44 UTC 2004

Duncan,

 Thanks a lot. I will try it.

 --Guolin Cheng

-----Original Message-----
From: duncan brown [mailto:duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 2:18 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about Fedora Core 1 packages upgrade

this is a very basic script, you may want to salt to taste.  i've
attached
it, but i'm not sure how the list manager will handle my attachment so i
also pasted it.  beware bad carriage returns!

---

[duncan at smallberries rpms]$ cat checkit
#!/bin/bash

# if no arguments were given, bitch and quit
[ "$1" ] || echo "$0 [base_dir_with_rpms]" || exit 1

# this is a function that'll make a pretty printout of the package's
information
new_package() {

 # if this is the first time we're called, print out a little info
 [ -z "$new_package" ] && echo -e "new packages downloaded to $(pwd)\n"
&&
new_package=true

 # use rpm to query the package for it's stats
 name=$(rpm -qp ${1} --queryformat %{NAME})
 version=$(rpm -qp ${1} --queryformat %{VERSION})
 release=$(rpm -qp ${1} --queryformat %{RELEASE})
 summary=$(rpm -qp ${1} --queryformat %{SUMMARY})

 # echo out our new package's name and basic info
 echo "${name}"
 echo " ver : ${version}"
 echo " rel : ${release}"
 echo " sum : ${summary}"
 echo
}

# go into the base directory where we'll find all of our rpms
cd $1

# find out what we have before
old_list=$(find . -name '*.rpm')

# run our mirror
apt-mirror

# find out what we have after
for i in $(find . -name '*.rpm') ; do
 # if this grep fails, then there's a new package, report it with
new_package()
 echo $old_list | grep -q ${i} || new_package $i
done

Guolin Cheng said:
> Hi,
>

>  Just have some crude thoughts about the method of packages upgrade
for
> our hundreds of Fedora Core 1 Linux boxes. Since it is quite awkward
> upgrade hundreds of clients through Internet(big burden on Internet
> servers on the other side),  I'd like to setup my own Master package
> Master server for all my hundreds of clients.  Clients will pull
> packages from my Master server, while my Master server will sync
upgrade
> from Internet. Because we twist a lot packages to enable&disable
> building options, we have to download source RPMs as well, so there
> should have two places for upgrade packages. The first one is exactly
> the same the one on Internet, while the second is different, it only
> contains updated binary rpms we need for our own distribution, both
> untouched, modified&rebuilt. So the steps to set up the above
> infrastructure will be as the following:
>

> 1,  Use rsync|ftpcopy to copy the FC1 updates tree from Internet to
> master server, either through crontab or by hand manually, at last
send
> an email to system administrator about the difference. That difference
> will contain info about new updated rpms.
>

> 2,  Have a look of the new upgraded rpms, see if there is a need to
> rebuild some of them. If so, install source rpms, then twist .spec
> files, and rebuild to get customized binary rpms.
>

> 3, copy new upgrade binary rpms, either untouched or rebuilt at step
2,
> to a place where all clients can reach by means of nfs|http|ftp.
>

> 4, on clients, through crontabs, use cfengine or customized scripts to
> install the upgrade packages with the help of up2date|yum
periodically.

> This way it should make the mass upgrade much easier and faster, while
> at the same time save the Internet bandwidth at the server side for
> other Fedora Core 1 amateurs.
>

> When the infrastructure is setup, we only need to read email from
rsync
> and maintain a Master server for package upgrade.
>

> Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
>

>  --Guolin Cheng

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991