recommending reiserfs?

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Thu May 6 10:17:02 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: neil [mailto:neilcuk at aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 5:34 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases

I haven't used ReiserFS in production. In practice it's supposed to do
intelligent block management to maximise the capacity of your storage. For
example - if you specify blocks of 4k and your files end up being 1k or
smaller the ReiserFS system will still used the remaining space within each
block - very cool indeed! whereas in the extended filesystem you would
potentially loose 3/4 of your storage capacity if your file ended up being
1k or less. But read the links that have been posted and make sure you
test/test/test :-)

QUESTION :
So.. how do we test/test/test???

I had one XFS file sys curroption on one directory. unmount, ran a fsck and
it automatically removed the offending directory. (though I have no idea how

if possibl, to recover it w/o losing data)

I've not had problems with ext3 so far in 1-2 years. XFS, this is the 1st.