Up2date alternative-revisited.

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu May 6 13:46:16 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> Ok, I'll accept that and at work with a T1 line that is not a bad
> idea. However, at home that is a disaster. To have to download all the
> headers just to find out if grip has to be updated over a modem line
> seems like too musch work. Why does youm not download just the header
> for the package I want and then check if it needs to bre updated.
>
> Does this mean every time I run yum install all the headers have to be
> re-downloaded. That does not seem like the way I would want it to
> workd.
> With apt-get it just looked for the package I was wanting to install
> and told me if a newer version was available. I just don't understand
> the approach of yum. Could someone  clarify?
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> One Trinity Place.
> San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
>
> telephone: (210)-999-7484
> email:akonstam at trinity.edu

Aaron:

There will be a very long list of headers that yum downloads initially.
A *really* long list! After that the only headers that yum seems to
download are updates (some of which are for apps not on my system). It's
typically a very short list -- if any at all.

Now if you decide to add additional repo's to your /etc/yum.conf file,
then you can expect all of those headers to be downloaded as well -- and
that may take some time.

Hope this helps,
Clint
--