arrgh <Sigh> auto mounting cd-rw gets in my way...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri May 7 01:48:39 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 7, d l did say:

> remove the /dev/cdrom entry in /etc/fstab then it won't
> automount anymore

Yeah that would do it "d l"... But then how would I:

$ mount mountpoint

????

I don't want to disable mounting these drives. I also don't want to
stop applications like kscd, xcdroast, ogle, xine, etc... from being able
to automatically access them (when said applications are running.) And I
most certainly don't want to lose "user" command line control over
mounting/unmounting them.

All I want to stop is ANY automatic behavior being triggered by inserting
a cd or dvd into either of those drives.

I want the ability to choose if it's going to be mounted, or not, and at
which mount point. And what application, if any, I may or may not be
accessing it with. Which most certainly would not include a gui file
browser like konqueror. I find the mc command shell much more useful for
that. I just dislike to have to wait for konqueror to open just so I can
kill it. And I dislike having to unmount something I never chose to mount.