How to reinstall GRUB?

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri May 7 07:04:42 UTC 2004

I'm sorry to say this but I really hate when ppl reply/write in html form.
that means I've to resort to
top posting. since if I change it back to text-format, I'll have to type in
the ">" myself..

That aside.. (no need to rant, we all have our shortcomings :) Like my email
server's "ability" to munch the
threading)

Okay.... This should be what you do..

Boot using the FC1 Disc 1 CD. Type in "Linux rescue" at the boot prompt

after that, it should tell you that your FC1 partition is mounted at X
location..

so.. just  "chroot /mnt/sysimage"

then grub-install --root-directory=/dev/hdaX (X is depending on where is
your / partition)
or if you have a separate /boot partition, should be something like

grub-install --root-directory=/boot  /dev/hdaX

Try that..