Tackling a shared USB printer (linux -> WXP)

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Fri May 7 11:31:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 08:12, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 04:30:41PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
>
> > > BTW:  The above testing on RH9 produces no output for test 1 and works
> > > correctly for test 2.  The "cups options" parm is not available in RH9's
> > > samba.  I must uncomment the mime.* octet-stream lines for RH9 to print
> > > PS from windows, but not PCL.  I would have expected the opposite.
>
> *groan* it's (of course) more complicated, as Michael Sweet pointed
> out to me on the CUPS list:
>
> "As long as you are using the CUPS or Adobe drivers for your queues
>  (and not the vendor drivers for a non-PS printer), that line is
>  unnecessary and will only cause raw PostScript to be printed on
>  non-PS printers."
>
> So it turns out *not* to be the case that all Windows-submitted jobs
> are necessarily already rasterized.
>
> This just seems like samba should be handling it and setting 'raw'
> when necessary (and only then).
>
> Tim.
> */

Tim,

Am I missing something?  What does it mean *not* all windows-submitted
jobs are necessarily rasterized?

Does this imply that windows is doing something different to the data of
the print job for a remote printer than it does for a locally connected
printer?  I would think that if a printer speaks some printing language
(i.e. PS, PCL, epson-ese), window's spooled data, whether sent to a
samba server or directly to the printer should be the same.  Therefore,
"cups options = raw" should always work for a samba served printer.

Bob...