ldap: ping does not return

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri May 7 14:39:41 UTC 2004

Herbert Gasiorowski wrote:

>> I just added a reply in Bugzilla to your report of this.
>>
>> Here, I can get nscd to work with "host: files ldap dns", but I had to
>> restart it after I changed nsswitch.conf.
>>

> Ok: I finally got it (hopefully):
>
> I missed that some libldap does a reverse lookup on the
> ip number in ldap.conf (or the like).
>
> So I need to add the ldap-server in /etc/hosts avoiding
> the endless loop (and nscd so ping will not stop in futex).

If you are going to use LDAP for host resolution you should use an IP number
rather than a hostname in authconfig. Or, to change it later, edit the entry
in /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/openldap/ldap.conf and replace the hostname with
its IP number.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555