Upgrade to FC2 [when it comes]

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 7 19:22:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 03:09:08PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 06.05.2004 schrieb Kc2LTO - Andrew Ragone um 14:41:
>
> > I was just wondering if it would be possible to keep the current server
> > [RH9] up and install the updates that are found in FC2 [kernel, packages,
> > etc] while the os is running or through the shell if you shutdown X. I'm
> > sure there is some way to do it as there have been servers that run for
> > years and they would have to update packages...but the kernel? I would
> > believe there is some way...
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Recently someone pointed me to a subject on the development list, where
> it was stated that even an upgrade from FC1 to FC2 will not work using
> online methods like yum or up2date. Of course that would effect RH9 the
> same.

I agree.... the test committee results for live updates is still out.

The FC2 release will make at least three major changes
    new kernel
    new X-window package
    new SELinux
Any of these would demand attention and all three ....

My expectation is that these updates should be done as much by the
book as possible (i.e. boot from CD#1).  Shortcuts are likely to leave
things undone.  For example the change in the mouse device is best
detected and changed from CD#1.  The change from XF86Config to
xorg.conf same sort of transition thing (watch for links here).

Since a lot of people will try it I am sure that we will see hints and
tricks that make it possible but until then expect to boot from CD#1
and install.  As a minimum this will ensure that you have rescue media
as a floppy will not hold enough to boot for most.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l