Need help (of course) setting up network

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sat May 8 10:47:30 UTC 2004

Around 07:04pm on Friday, May 07, 2004 (UK time), Shelagh Manton scrawled:

> Ok, a gracious freshstart. I will reinstall, for tow reasons, I installed
> <snip>

Hi Shelagh,

since your original posts were a while ago, and because you have
reinstalled, can you also state what isn't working that you want to
work, or what you want to make happen that isn't.  Probably best to take
this a step at a time, start with one thing and then go on to the next
when that is sorted.

Also give a brief statement of your setup, how many machines are on your
network, and what OS do they each run.

> results of #ifconfig -a
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:CE:89:69:EA
>          inet addr:192.168.32.0  Bcast:192.168.32.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

I'm' not a network expert, and others will probably correct me if I am
wrong, but I think it is unusual or even plain wrong to have an IP
address (inet addr) ending in .0.  The last number should be between 1
and 254.  Did you set this yourself, or was it allocated by DHCP?

> My note; winbind says it is working in level 5 but when I start up the
> messages say that winbind fails. Is this also related to Samba? Is it a
> service I need? Do I need to have DNS? This makes me a DNS server doesn't
> it, and I don't need to be that?

Not sure what winbind is, I use samba without it.  Can you see any
messages relating to why it fails.  Try:
	grep -i winbind /var/log/messages

I am sure that as America awakes, and also after the weekend more people
will add to and improve on what I have been able to say.  Don't worry,
it may take some time but we will probably get you sorted.  People here
are happy to help, and won't get fed up if it takes a while - so have
patience.

Good luck

Steve

--