GRUB configuration after installing new kernel

Sat May 8 13:06:29 UTC 2004

I have compiled a new kernel and put the bzImage in
/boot/kernel-2.6.5/bzImage (boot is a separate partition).

I opened my grub.conf file and added:
title Kernel 2.6.5
root hd(0,2) =>this line was like that in the old kernel config so i copied it to the new config
kernel /kernel-2.6.5/bzImage root=/dev/sda6 ro

and I think that the last line is the cause of the problem. I get an error message that says that linux cannot mount.

but my Howto (yeah I'm like super-newbie) said that I had
to check the output from df and take the device that had the '/' mount point and that was /dev/sda6

Anyway,
somewhere I must have made a big mistake

It would be nice if someone could correct me

Matt.