Need help (of course) setting up network

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 8 14:13:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 10:05, Jamie Cadorette wrote:
> >> I'm' not a network expert, and others will probably
> correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is unusual or
> even plain wrong to have an IP address (inet addr)
> ending in .0.  The last number should be between 1 and
> 254.  Did you set this yourself, or was it allocated
> by DHCP? <<
>
> This is correct. With an IP address, a hostid of all
> zeroes (ending in .0) and a hostid of all ones (ending
> in .255) are both reserved. A valid IP should end with
> a number from 1 through 254. It has been my experience
> that the number 1 is usually seen on DNS servers and
> routers.
>
> - Jamie

It all depends on the subnet mask which defines what portion of the IP
address represents the network and what portion represents the host
addresses.  If your network uses a 16 bit subnet mask there can be
several host address that end in 0 and 255.

Very strange looking but perfectly valid.

In the case described above they have a 24 bit subnet mask, in that case
you are correct the address ending in 0 is the network and 255 is the
broadcast.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>