recommending reiserfs?

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Sat May 8 23:44:20 UTC 2004

John Thompson wrote:

>What do you think checks for the "dirty" bit?  That's right; "fsck." If
>it find the dirty bit set, it calls the filesystem-appropriate utility
>(eg "fsck.ext3" or whatever) to check and fix any problems.  When fsck
>finds the dirty bit set on an xfs filesystem, it calls "fsck.xfs" which
>simply returns a "successful" signal back to fsck, which then moves on
>to the next filesystem.

Can you prove that the system uses fsck to check the filesystem's dirty
flag? I can't. I see where it gets called if the filesystem is dirty,
but not before that. I did find in IRIX the /etc/bcheckrc file, which
calls the fsstat command which checks the dirty bit. I will keep looking
for the linux answer. I would love to be enlightened if I am wrong.

Something interesting from the tune2fs man page:

              If you are  using journaling on your filesystem, your
filesystem will  never
              be marked dirty, so it will not normally be checked.  A
filesys-
              tem error detected by the kernel will still force an fsck
on the
              next reboot, but it may already be too late to prevent
data loss
              at that point.