Easiest firewall?

Kevin MacNeil k.macneil at verizon.net
Sun May 9 00:25:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 05:42:50PM -0500, John Fleming wrote:
> Was the consensus Shorewall??  I tried the archives to no avail.  I
> want to open the standard stuff like www, ftp, ssh, named, pop and
> smtp, and some ports for Webmin and want to block the rest.  What's
> the easiest for a newbie to start with?  Thanks!  - John

firestarter.sf.net. It has a little gui that you can use to start, stop,
change firewall rules, etc. It's the easiest way to run a firewall on
your desktop machine.

If you're looking for a dedicated firewall distro to use on a dedicated
machine, try ipcop.org. Very easy to administer and a good way to make
use of older computers. I'm running it here on a 486 w/16 mb ram and a
400 mb hard drive.