TFT help, Analogue or DVI

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun May 9 06:19:24 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 08.05.2004 schrieb Colin J Thomson um 01:48:
> However some of the TFT's I have been looking at are mainly analogue (15 pin
> mini D-sub) but some also have a DVI input, this would mean I would need to
> change my Vidoecard.
> What are the pro's and con's of Analogue v DVI?

A digital TFT gives you a much better screen images (crisp, sharp),
especially in the field of midrange TFT's and video cards (and not so
optimized video drivers).

If it's affordable you should buy a TFT with both analogue and digital
connectors.

> Any tips and advice would be most welcome, I am very tempted with the Iiyama
> TFT's but in my price range only analogue is possible.

Well, if there is no choice  :-)  On the other hand: TFT usually is a
dramatically improvement over CRT (even analogues). In order to watch
DVD it may be better to connect a TV or a analogues CRT monitor (don't
know about games). Many video cards can drive an analogue CRT monitor as
well as a digital TFT. May be your current video is one of them.

Peter