Easiest firewall?

David Fletcher fm_maillists at ntlworld.com
Sun May 9 12:14:16 UTC 2004

I'd agree with this too. I'm no sort of an expert - I don't know enough to go
hacking the config files with a text editor to set up something like iptables
but I knew what I needed to get the firewall to do for starters, which was to
pass CUPS packets from another machine to enable it to use the printer on my
PC.

I'm still running RH9 on my PC but FC1 is installed on my son's PC in the next
room. Firestarter so far as I can tell has completely replaced the iptables
stuff that is normally installed by RedHat as it starts up.

All I then needed to do was start up the firestarter gui and watch for hits on
the firewall. Right clicking on hits let me easily get the machine talking to
the Red Hat time server again, and allow CUPS to operate across the network.

So, firestarter gets my recommendation for an easy to use firewall setup tool.

Dave Fletcher

I 2nd firestarter.  Real easy gui interface.