Strange ip address

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun May 9 12:20:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 03:16, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Sunday 09 May 2004 01:17, david walcroft wrote:
>

> > Thanks Scot,just what I needed and I always have the 169.254.0.0
> > address it must be my ISP,I'll have to read up on subnet masks.
> >
> >    david
>
> This address is from the zeroconf project which has been incorporated
> into the later RH Linux distributions.
>
> http://www.zeroconf.org/
>
> Search the list archives for more commentary.
>
> Regards,  Mike Klinke

I had thought that the zero configuration functions only set an IP
address if the interface did not have one already assigned.  Why keep a
route for something the system should never use once it is configured
for the network?

Do they discuss the potential security implications in the RFCs?  I
guess I need to go read them to find out.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>