writing an init.d script

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon May 10 13:50:21 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 10.05.2004 schrieb Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell um 13:40:

> Complete.... now that is a task ;-)
>
> I recommend starting with"
>
> 	     "The UNIX Programming Environment" by
> 	     Kernighan and Pike.
> 	     (Prentice Hall)
>
> No other book addresses the issue of understanding how stuff works in
> a *nix environment.  It is a bit dated but it has the most economical
> 350 pages of introduction to *unix that I have found to date.

:)

> The real key to scripts is that unix scripts glue a collection of
> smaller functional tools together in interesting ways.  i.e. it is not
> sufficient to just learn 'shell' (bash), you also have to be aware of
> all the other tools out there.

But maybe he should start with the "trivial" things

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Mostly sufficient for little init scripting.

> After reading Kernighan and Pike read the existing scripts and use
> them as excercises for understanding.

True, understanding is the key.

> 	T o m  M i t c h e l l

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 15:47:31 up 13 days, 14:35, load average: 0.28, 0.12, 0.10
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]