Routing and bandwidth problem

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon May 10 15:55:26 UTC 2004

At 10:01 5/9/2004, Kent Borg wrote:
>On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:32:53AM -0700, Jay Scherrer wrote:
> > Thus it reduces the nic's down to two: one for the wan and one for
> > the lan.
>
>Why two?  Can't one handle both?  The server routes between different
>networks, but one wire can handle multiple networks.

It is extremely unwise to firewall using only one interface, for several
reasons. I will admit that I do not fully understand all of them, but on
the common sense level: if you want to protect your network from the BBI
(Big Bad Internet [tm]), you certainly don't want "outside" and "inside" to
be on the same wire. Just too high a probability of errors and an increased
probability of snooping, sniffing, or other nasty behavior.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com