portmapper (was:Re: postgresql)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon May 10 18:21:15 UTC 2004

At 11:02 5/10/2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>interesting and something I should investigate deeper. At the moment of
>reading your reply I just wonder because on my workstation I have
>stopped the portmap service since first install moments and I am facing
>no problems with nautilus or fam, as far as I see and can tell (all is
>running very nice). Does nautilus maybe only need RPC running when using
>NFS?

I'm afraid I cannot help you there. I run several Internet servers on Red
Hat and Fedora, and of course none of them run X (or GNOME, Nautilus, fam,
etc.) since they don't need it. The desktops that we have on Linux are
simply set up right off the bat to accept *nothing* from the outside, and
since I couldn't remove portmap it didn't occur to me to simply stop it. :-)

Someone with more Clue will have to help us here.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com