Auto-recompile kernel modules on new kernel install

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Mon May 10 21:24:14 UTC 2004

Has there been any thought to providing some mechanism within the kernel
RPMs to execute a user-defined set of commands as part of the
post-kernel install to re-compile any "non-standard" kernel modules?

The current kernel spec files execute various scripts/programs to edit
grub.conf, etc, and prepare the system for using the new kernel.
However, these scripts do not compile "after-market" modules, to include
video, vpn, or modems.

I'm thinking of something like adding something similar to the following
in the %post section:
if [ -x /usr/sbin/new-kernel-pkg ] ; then
  /usr/sbin/new-kernel-pkg %{KVERREL}
fi

Note, this would be different from the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg.
Alternatively, /sbin/new-kernel-pkg could invoke a user defined script,
eg, /sbin/new-kernel-pkg.local

For myself, every time a new kernel is installed, I have to
recompile/install the Cisco VPN Client kernel modules.  While new
kernels don't come out often, it certainly would be nice if custom setup
scripts could be created/executed rather than having to remember to
re-setup each of these every time a new kernel comes out.

If there are other ideas on how to make this wok [without changing the
kernel RPM spec file], I'd love to hear it.  Otherwise, I'll post a
bugzilla feature request.

Thanks!

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -