Getting rid of M$

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Tue May 11 10:06:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:27:10AM +0800, Edward wrote:
> You ask on the fedora mailing list which distr. we would use or recommend?

Why not? I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one who uses more than one
distro (actually, on my x86es, Mandrake outnumbers FC1 4:1... :-) ), and
I might no necessarily recommend Mandrake over Fedora, even though I use
both.

Personally, for a beginner I think I'd tend to recommend Mandrake. I
have no hard facts to support this, more a general feeling that Mandrake
has less "rough edges". I went from RHL 7.3 to MDK9.1/9.2 and FC1 at the
same time and it took me less time to get used to MDK than to FC, even
though I was coming from a RedHat background. E.g. I had urpmi working a
lot faster than yum (and I still went back to wget+rpm in the end for
updates, as I just can't seem to remember yum/urpmi options, whereas
wget+rpm works 100% all the time on all machines I have, even the Aurora
Sparc Linux boxes).

Cheerio,

Thomas
--