My Linux partitions are lost.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue May 11 12:55:43 UTC 2004

Giandomenico De Tullio wrote:

> On 11/05/2004 08:58:18, Vikas.Bhasin at britishairways.com wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I had Linux FC1 and Windows XP home edition on my Dell inspiron 8500.
>> For
>> some reason, i had to reinstall XP and as a result the GRUB loader  was
>>
>> overwritten. I knew GRUB can be reinstalled easily, so didn't worry
>> about
>> it.
>
> [.... snip ....]
>
>> Is there any way by which i can preserve my previous Linux
>> installation
>> and get the GRUB in MBR. Or do I have to reinstall Linux?
>

> hmmm, what about installing grub into SuperBlock of "boot partition" ?
> and add linux "boot" partition to XP bootmanager ?

Dual booting with XP amd Linux has been discussed here in the recent
past, check the archives.
Also, a quick search on google gives a lot of results and many pointers.

There are actually 2 ways to control the boot.  Use the ntldr from XP
and do not install grub to the mbr but to the boot sector of the boot
partition  OR use grub on the mbr.