How stable is fedora?

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 11 22:22:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 03:15:31PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>         2. I do recommend RHEL for servers if you can afford the price. If
Yes.

>         3. If you're asking this now, my answer is "very stable." So wait
> another week or so, download FC2 and install *that* when it's released, and

Yes ...
with the caution that this would be an update from a much older RH
releases.  FC2 is a big jump from FC1 let alone 7.3 (new kernel, new
X, etc).  Find an inexpensive old box and begin tinkering.  Load it with
what you are running then upgrade as a test run to FC2.

I marvel at how much tinkering and tuning to make a box feel like home
each time I upgrade hardware or an OS.  If someone has been running 7.3
for years the list of details will be longer that you expect.

For example the redhat-config* tools are now called system-config-*...
DNS can now be chrooted (recommended) and the setup is different
as a result.

> Come on in, the water's fine!

Yep.  But like any new swimming hole, look before you leap.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l