Nothing but problems upgrading to Fedora Core

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed May 12 13:05:22 UTC 2004

Andre Costa wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:06:16 -0400
> John Nelson <developer at computation.com> wrote:
>

>>Hey all,
>>
>>I have had nothing but problems installing Fedora Core, and the issues
>>
>>seem to center around grub installing on top of an existing Lilo
>>installation. On one system there were grub files missing from
>>/boot/grub. On another system I got "try passing init= to the kernel".
>>
>>On another system the grub.conf file refuses to boot up Windows XP on
>>a second disk. On yet another machine I'm getting compression errors
>>while booting the kernel. If I leave Lilo intact on my laptop, the
>>screen turns psychodelic when Lilo comes up.
>>
>>Grub has never worked for me, even when I can get it patched up to
>>work properly. Is there a trick to installing over FC1 or RH systems?
>>This is REALLY frustrating!
>

> Sorry to hear you have been having that many problems, John. All I can
> say is that GRUB also let me down a few days ago (read 'GRUB Blues'
> thread posted recently). In my case, I believe it might be BIOS fault,
> but I could workaround it anyway (by manually configuring GRUB at every
> boot... =/ ).
>
> Hope GRUB installation (and GRUB itself) improves on FC2.
>
> Best,
>
> Andre

    For whatever it's worth, I installed GRUB over LILO when it first
appeared in a RedHat distro.  (I don't even remember how long ago that
was.)  I had no problems with the upgrade then, and have had no problems
with GRUB ever since.  It has made it substantially easier to maintain /
upgrade the kernel, and I love the ability to test a modified grub.conf
by booting a floppy with GRUB installed.  There's no accounting for
taste.  ;-{)>
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn