FC2-test3 & ATI driver

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed May 12 20:39:05 UTC 2004

Dwaine Castle wrote:

>Gentlemen,

...snip...

>Everything appears to be working with one exception.  My video
>card was miss-identified as an ATI8500LE and this allows me a
>maximum screen resolution of 800x600.  I've tried to change it,
>but it goes back to 8500LE.  I've downloaded the latest drivers
>from ATI, but they appeared to be designed only for XFree86 and
>it doesn't look like FC2 is using XFree86.  I remember reading
>something about Fedora no longer using XFree86 during the
>installation but I was more interested in my installation
>failures.  I doubt that I should install the ATI RPM.  This seems
>like a hardware configuration issue, but I know that the X server
>is related.
>
>I would like to get my graphics card installed correctly.  Can
>anyone explain what is going wrong?

There appears to be something wrong with X, I was having the same problem with an ATI AIW 8500DV nad an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX. From what
was able to figure out, the new xorg drivers appear to be reading
the DDC information incorectly from my Monitor. I then tried to pick
a Generic 1600x1200 Monitor, but it did the same thing. Eventualy I
discovered that in order to disable DDC you must remove the comment
charcters from the Horizontal and Vertical Scan Range line in:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then you have to reboot {it can be done without a reboot but rebooting
is simpler to explain.}

Good luck.