FC2-test3 & ATI driver

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 12 23:14:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 05:24:44PM -0400, Dwaine Castle wrote:
> It took me a long time to install the OS because of problems with
> disc2, but now everything works so well it scares me.

There is nothing special about disc2 that I know.

In my limited experience for install media it pays to burn the
distribution media at half or a third the max burn rate.  CDROM
burners can have soft under runs that cause interruptions and gaps in
the bit flow that in turn cause trouble on later reads.  I also max
out the buffers that my burn software uses to minimize the chance of
an under run.

If you can set your system up to not use "ATA Packet interface" you
may also have better luck.  Also look for "Does support
Buffer-Underrun-Free recording" in the properties of your drive.

Use brand name media for boot and distribution disks.  The bulk stuff
is good but....

Backups tend to run with all the system resources up and active well
patched and minor errors can better be recovered from.

Having said that recent FC1 kernels and CDROM burn tools (CDROAST)
have given me no trouble at full speed when I have burned FC1.9 and
FC1.91 media so things have improved.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l