partition limits on scsi drives?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu May 13 03:20:27 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> There's actually two types, type 5 (extended) and type f (win95 extended
> LBA).  I'm not absolutely certain what the difference is other than
> type f is a FAT-32 LBA-addressed partition.  I think type 5 is FAT-16
> extended.  I could be wrong there.

The difference has no relevance to any OS that is aware of both except
WinDOS versions (Win9X, WinME). The difference is a signal to the WinDOS
storage driver how to address the drive. Other than the ID byte itself,
there is no difference between the two in either the partitions or the
partition tables. The WinDOS storage driver will do strange and corrupt
things to drives that by its definition should be type 0Fh but are
instead 05h, and contain partitions it is supposed to be able to access.
--
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every
opportunity."                                        Colossians 4:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/