single linux box on dsl?

Jeremy Brown jeremy at cadre5.com
Thu May 13 19:43:00 UTC 2004

>>> XDMCP does not use TCP by default, so you can't access a remote desktop
>>> but the display is still listening. You use xhost to control access to
>>> the display.
>>>

>> No, you can't.  It is not listening.
>>
> Selective editing can't save you. If you don't know what your talking
> about, admit you don't and learn. If you have an Xserver running you
> will have and open TCP port = 6000 + display_number. If you do not
> have a port listening, then you are not running X, you may be running
> some other graphical interface but it is not X.
>
> Before you rebut this you better do some serious reading.
>
> I have been using X for over a decade, and have yet to come accross a
> version that will work without a tcp stack. If you can point me to a
> document written by an XFree86 or Xorg that describes the
> configuration of X with out a tcp stack, I will retract my statement.

FYI it is possible to tell XFree86 not to use TCP ports for
communication, although this is not typically the default in most
distributions.  I believe if you do this it will stick to UNIX domain
sockets for IPC.

See:

http://dbaron.org/linux/disabling-services
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/seawolf-list/2001-June/msg02584.html