single linux box on dsl?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu May 13 20:26:31 UTC 2004

Jeremy Brown wrote:

>>> No, you can't.  It is not listening.
>>
>> Selective editing can't save you. If you don't know what your talking
>> about, admit you don't and learn. If you have an Xserver running you
>> will have and open TCP port = 6000 + display_number. If you do not
>> have a port listening, then you are not running X, you may be running
>> some other graphical interface but it is not X.
>>
>> Before you rebut this you better do some serious reading.
>>
>> I have been using X for over a decade, and have yet to come accross a
>> version that will work without a tcp stack. If you can point me to a
>> document written by an XFree86 or Xorg that describes the
>> configuration of X with out a tcp stack, I will retract my statement.
>
> FYI it is possible to tell XFree86 not to use TCP ports for
> communication, although this is not typically the default in most
> distributions.  I believe if you do this it will stick to UNIX domain
> sockets for IPC.
>
> See:

> http://dbaron.org/linux/disabling-services
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/seawolf-list/2001-June/msg02584.html
>
> Jeremy

OK, I am wrong.

Better to eat crow than starve.  :-[
---
# If true this will basically append -nolisten tcp to every X command line,
# a good default to have (why is this a "negative" setting? because if
# it is false, you could still not allow it by setting command line of
# any particular server).  It's probably better to ship with this on
# since most users will not need this and it's more of a security risk
# then anything else.
# Note: Anytime we find a -query or -indirect on the command line we do
# not add a "-nolisten tcp", as then the query just wouldn't work, so
# this setting only affects truly local sessions.
#DisallowTCP=true
DisallowTCP=false
---
Apologies to anyone I may have offended.

My sytem was an upgrade from RHL 9.

So if you want to forward X through ssh, do you have to enable TCP?