FC2-test3 & ATI driver

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 13 23:25:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:39:00PM -0400, Dwaine Castle wrote:

> CD drives are cheap and I will replace any one of mine tomorrow
> if I can find any evidence of failure.  It just seems, to me,
> that the checksum tests would be adequate to determine a hardware
> or media failure.

In one case there is a random read with seek to data  and in another
the mode is pure sequential.

Anyhow if you look at audio CD players you will see that many have
CD+R, Photo, etc capability as a check box in the feature list.  The
long list of features is a clue that all media is not the same.  There
are potential differences in the way the data is set down and that
results in differences for the read side.

A quick glance at the hardware list and your devices look 'modern'.

I happen to have a handful of OLD CD-ROM readers that I use.  Some days
I am cautious and do not place selected media in a writer.  Anyhow
because I happen to have these old drives I do on occasion see
problems that I would not see if I only used my new drives.

My  only point is that installation media should be made deliberately.
Half way through an install is not a good time to have media problems.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l