passwd demon failing?

David Harris dharris at macquarie.net.au
Fri May 14 00:59:27 UTC 2004

Hi

using fedora core on a toshiba tecra M2 laptop.

its a dual boot using grub with windows xp

I have been using it regularly with no troubles. All patches including
latest kernel have been applied.

yesterday i installed httpd, ftp and samba, again i downloaded all patches.

I am using the default fedora gui, when i try to log in as a user or root, i
immediately get the message "authentication failed"

So i booted in single user mode, changed the passwd and tried again. same
message.

It's as if the auth demon is not listening as it spits me out straight away.
root or normal user

is there anything i can check to make sure this is listening? if not any
clues as to why this has all of a sudden happened? has samba corrupted
something?

cheers

"Macquarie Corporate Telecommunications - The Next Generation Integrated IT
and
Telecommunications Carrier that transforms your voice, data & online
complexities into solutions"

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail is sent to and intended for use by the
named addressees only.  It contains confidential information. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please telephone  Macquarie Corporate
Telecommunications Pty Ltd on +612 8221 7777, and then delete this
message immediately. Further, you should not re-transmit, copy, store,
or reveal the contents of this message to any third party.