usb probs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 14 04:00:01 UTC 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 22:52, Ben Stringer wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 12:25, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But whyinhell do I have to reboot just because a $500 camera is a
>> flake?
>>
>> The usb system can see it connect once only, and once its dropped
>> offline, the usb system can only see the reconnect if I reboot
>> first.
>
>Hi Gene,
>
>As root, try "rmmod"ing then "insmod"ing the usb kernel modules.
> This (whilst painful) should reset any problems with your USB
> subsystem.
>
>Eg.
>  usbcore usb-storage usbdfu hci_usb hid usb-uhc

I thought of that, but then realized I have it all builtin because it
doesn't appear to be self-loading.  I did make a trial boot as
modules, and no usb stuff was operational.  With my script its
trivial to revert so I did, and now building a 2.6.5-mm6 without some
scsi stuff that got turned on somehow, and which I think is getting
in the way of running my camera on usb.  I'll know in about 30
minutes.

Now I'd do them as modules, if they would reliably load, they do by
hand at least.  All the audio stuff loads automaticly so I'm not sure
why the usb stuff doesn't.  I did disable a boatload of hotplug stuff
quite some time back because it was causeing multiminute delays in
booting, and makeing megabytes of logs with errors.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)